The Purpose of the Posts...

I work with people with various types and degrees of developmental disabilities. These individuals make me smile, laugh, and stand with my mouth agape more than anyone else currently in my life - with the exception of God. There are so many stories I never tell, lessons I never share, that are worthy of an audience because the people in them are worthy of being known. Many of them cannot tell their stories themselves, so that is what I will attempt to do here. I cannot do them justice in a simple blog post, but it is an offering on their behalf nonetheless.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Mr. Coffee and Oprah

It is impossible to convey the sheer lack of normality in my job - the people I support, the hours I work, the tasks I do, all change weekly, sometimes daily as the case may be. Mr. Coffee is one of the individuals that I see the most regularly, usually about 3 times a week, and he has the most set routine of any of the people that I support - for the most part. Yesterday was a bit different though.

In weeks past Mr. Coffee had mentioned that he really wanted to meet Oprah. He was sitting in his wheel chair in front of his big screen T.V. with newspapers and magazines piled on the bookcases around him. Oprah's face filled the corner of the room as she talked animatedly about something. I was bustling around Mr. Coffee's place as he looked longingly at the television and and said in his over-anunciated manner that draws his entire face into what he is trying to communicate,

"Ey unt Oo eeet er."

 Not getting the gist of his sentence the first time, I came over and knelt down in front of him, asking him to repeat what he said. Gesturing at the giant face of Opera he repeated what he had said, this time his eyes and mouth getting bigger and more earnest.

"You want to meet her?" I asked, not entirely sure I had deciphered his message correctly.

Long enthusiastic nods met my question.  He propped himself up a bit in his chair so that he could gesture more effectively.  Stretching out his long arms, he pumped them up and down while saying something that sounded like 'ear.'

It took more than one attempt, but I eventually realized he was saying (in essence) that he wanted Oprah to come 'here,' to his home.  I was not really sure of the manner in which one goes about convincing a celebrity to come visit you in your home - this is not what I usually spend my time doing after all - but I told Mr. Coffee that I would look into writing a letter to her.

On Tuesday of this week, Mr. Coffee asked about how things were coming with Oprah. While I had not forgotten about about the promised letter, it had taken a back burner to a few other projects.  As we chatted about the letter, one of us mentioned sending a picture of Mr. Coffee along with the request to meet her.  I told Mr. Coffee that I would bring my camera and take his picture the next day during our shift together.

So, camera in hand, I arrived yesterday at Mr. Coffee's home to do our photo shoot, along with his laundry. He was waiting for me in his living room with the bright smile that always greets me.  His worn, high water jeans had been replaced by new dark denims that contrasted smartly with his sun yellow button up shirt.  His recent hair cut completed his very smart look.

We said our hellos and chatted about his day before finding good lighting and starting our photo shoot.  I wish I could post the picture that Mr. Coffee decided was his favorite because it is simply wonderful.  Alas, confidentiality has the last word in that regard though. We had a ton of fun with the project and now I need to set about writing a letter to Oprah.  I must say that writing a letter to celebrity saying I wanted to meet them probably would have made it onto my 'Top Ten Things I Will Never Do List' if such a thing existed, but here I am with 'Look up Oprah's mail info' on my to-do list.  What can you do?  Mr. Coffee's smile is absolutely worth kissing up to a celebrity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment